Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Dream Experimental Jazz Ensemble Revealed!!!

Let me tell you that I am ready to make a proposal for my dream experimental jazz ensemble in Chicago.

My encounters through my original performance art dances with such Chicago experimental jazz ensembles and indie band ensembles like the Tomorrow Music Orchestra, Pedway, Whitewolf and Sonic Princess, the Telepaths, and the Hathaways are making me so inspired that I

The name of the ensemble I am thinking of is going to be called.......

LINDEN JOY!!!!!!!!

This is inspired by my alter ego, Lamar Jacobsen Linden, that I used in my performance art dancing since 2001.

This ensemble will feature my good musical friends who are, I believe, great creative musicians and emerging improvisers that I had ever seen in this city...

The tentative lineup for Linden Joy will likely be......

Matthew Golombisky, bassist
Cale Piepenburg, flutist, assistant performance artist
Quin Kirchner, drums
Caroline Davis, saxophone
Bill MacKay, guitarist
James Moeller, guitarist
Carla Hayden, tambourine/assistant spoken word artist
Carlos Pecciotto, percussion (you know him from the Environmental Encroachment
Circus Punk Marching Band)
CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH, bandleader and performance artist/spoken word artist

Other added guests in my experimental ensemble will likely include more of my good musically creative friends....

Paul Velat, spoken word artist/experimental singing artist
Rosie Velat, backup vocals
Amanda Crumley, additional vocals
Maestro Phil, percussion
Huntress Diana, bass guitarist

What will make this band rather unique from other experimental bands and ensembles is that I will use my performance art dancing to lead the band.

Inspired by the spoken word artistry of Leslie Beukelman, who currently sings for Information Superhighway I am also going to use my experimental spoken word also to lead this ensemble.

Graphic notation will likely be used to make things easier. The style will be almost like Chicago's Lighthouse Orchestra, but not exactly..

The ensemble I am dreaming of was inspired by the Tomorrow Music Orchestra, where Matthew Golombisky acted as bassist and bandleader.....My memorable thing was dancing with the TMO at the 2008 Around The Coyote Festival.

This proposal was inspired by my performance art dancing I did for 6 years. I love the drums so much because this is my elixir. Frank Rosaly, one of the famous emerging creative drummers in Chicago, strongly inspires me. So does another drummer...Kalyan Pathak, an Roosevelt University alum (I was also an alum of that school too).

First gig I am planning for this "dream band" would be the Hideout because I love it so much. I am going to announce the gig like what happened when the Hideout was a sellout when "Little Shop of Horrors" happened this Halloween 2009.

2 comments:

  1. It would be my pleasure to perform in this dream band, Charles. My pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could pull it off.
    Somehow we are thinking in the same waves. Down to the graphic notation to inspire those who don't read notes on the staff.
    I'm thinking I'd be more useful on electric 'cello and keyboards though.

    I have been dreaming of doing music with you, Charles. Lets make this happen one way or another.

    Keep dreaming the World is yours.

    ReplyDelete