Saturday, January 30, 2016

More Things I Can Remember in the 1970s

       My first introduction to a house party was going to Alexis' house,
1739 W. 106th St. My favorite remembrance was hearing a remix of
the famous Chic song, "Good Times", in the bass line. So much the
better was that the sitcom, "Good Times" sprung up in the 1970s,
a comedy supposedly shot in the Cabrini-Green projects in
Chicago.

***

     My first love for music started immediately at that time (say, around 6 or
7 years old, in 1976-1977), and it grew. For instance, I can remember the song
 "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" by Tony, Orlando and Dawn. I loved it, even if I didn't 
even know the words--I adored the music. Even their short-lived TV variety show, 
supposedly made to look like something out of the Ed Sullivan Show, was very
 interesting to me. But this set the stage for a laid-back version of the Ed Sullivan 
show--the Lawrence Welk Show, in the next decade. I was introduced to the 
Lawrence Welk’s orchestra that brought great Broadway classics, and some vintage 
pop and jazz classes, and some great ballroom dance classics as well.

     With music came jazz, and I was introduced to the sounds of George
Benson, when my father Joseph put on "Weekend in L.A." on his old
stereo system. The album he had was an 8-track--passe right now,
but I can remember the 8-track indicator with the red lights moving on to
the next song. But I realized that there was more than just George Benson
on the guitar. There were some drums, too.I didn't even know the drummers 
from the George Benson band until about 20 years later. They turned out to
 be Harvey Mason (on drumset) and Ralph Macdonald (playing Latin 
percussion). And like theEd Sullivan show, I remember that "American 
Bandstand" exploded n the 1970s with the latest 70s hits, especially when 
the show rode along the 'disco wave'. Barry Manilow's theme song to the
program made me want to swing, but I did not have the knowledge
to swing dance yet. Too bad...

***

Emma introduced me to the sound of public transportation. I can
remember taking a ride on the CTA train many times with her. I
can remember the rattling, the loud wind-like sound, the screeching of the
train when it made its banks (or "turns"), and the squeaking of the doors 
as it opened and closed.

***

Grandma's house on 6940 S. Peoria (in the neighborhood of West
0hatham) was still there even though we moved out around 1975.
Naomi Smith, my grandmother, used to baby-sit with me as my mother or
father dropped me off to go to their jobs. I can remember the
very old piano in the living room--often out of tune, and the ivory keys
seeming to look like teeth being yellow from tobacco
stains. I can also remember holding a Raggedy Ann doll in one of
her bedrooms, as if I was holding another person. At other times,
I was hooked to the TV, watching such programs as "Sesame Street"
or "The Price Is Right". Naomi is now deceased.
       One thing I really was unable to bask into in the 1970s was the
disco craze. The reason: both parents were quite conservative, and
Emma was conservative because she was a Christian, even though I
was able to see images on TV regarding the stuff related to disco…
the disco clubs, the colored moving lights, and dance floors
featuring moving color patterns. I was about 6 when the craze started
with its sensual, promiscuous music that may be good enough to attract
Jezebel, and about 9 when fireworks, dynamite, and Steve Dahl’s DJ
antics at Chicago’s Comiskey Park on July 12, 1979 on “Disco
Demolition Night”, brought an explosive end to the craze.  Finally,
I was too young to go to any of those disco clubs.
   Well, while disco was temporarily “the king”, the ultimate zenith
of disco I had experienced indirectly---seemed to be “Saturday Night
Fever”, and I got the first tastes of John Travolta (who played Tony
Manero) and Karen Lynn Gorney (who played Stephanie Nagano). I was
about 8 at that time so I could not even get the story line down pat
but I can remember the lighting in the Apollo 2000 disco club scene
and all of that dancing…that is, I focused on the lights and the
dancing. But its mixture of disco-twinged pop and rock music also
turned me on.
     I can remember when WLS AM radio was popular, the disco super group,
The Bee Gees, made fame with this movie and I can remember
the several times the radio station put on “How Deep Is Your Love?”
I never have known the Bee Gees at that point but that song with its
beautiful, laid-back music with its pretty good chordal changes seem
to be the hook of the song. I was not in love at that point even though it 
was a romantic song, but this slow, ballady music is quite incarnating.


No comments:

Post a Comment